5 Gorgeous US Stamps to Buy [in April for 47 Cents]

FOR BLOG (7 of 12)FOR BLOG (2 of 12)It’s very rare that the pen pal community and mainstream news intersect–and yet the recent announcement that US stamp prices will go down by 2 cents come April is undoubtedly the talk of every American snail mailer. It’s easy to see how this might be misinterpreted, at first, as good news. You’d think that the postage drop, if tiny, will make the pen pal lifestyle slightly less pocket-draining and more accessible.

…right?

In reality, cheaper stamps are ultimately terrible for a postal system that is already struggling to keep itself afloat financially. Folks, the USPS is amazing! Isn’t it wonderful that we can just fling letters and packages in blue boxes and they will magically travel across the country and around the world?

To put it in unnecessarily overdramatic terms, no post = no pen pals in America. Truly the darkest timeline.

So let’s do what we can and support the postal service, okay? In April, I urge you to help keep our mail system alive by investing in lots of the beautiful new stamps available for 2016–and sending off extra letters to faraway friends.

(Disclaimer: this post is in no way sponsored or paid for by USPS (I wish!)–I just really love stamps. And mail. And pen pals. By this point, though, does that really surprise you?)

FOR BLOG (10 of 12)

#1. Global: The Moon International

I use Global Forevers constantly–and, to be honest, I’d grown a bit tired of the standard wreath-bedecked world design from 2013! I’m so glad the post office decided to send their most useful stamp from Earth to the moon this spring.

#2. Botanical Art

True story: on Saturday I stood behind three near-identical, elegant older ladies at the post office, and all of them bought a book of these gorgeously vintage floral First Class stamps. If the classiest women in Hampshire County are doing it, why don’t you?

#3. Ferns

Okay, so technically these came out in 2014, but I believe firmly that they are the most underappreciated stamps in American postal history. Imagine a world where these beautiful woodsy illustrations were the standard for all mailing instead of the overused American flag Forevers…

#4. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

These beauties are doubly useful–as “non-machinable surcharge” stamps, they can take care of square/thick/weirdly-shaped envelopes, and can also cover almost all of the cost of a normal international letter. (You’ll just need to add one more standard Forever to get to the total!)

#5. Maya Angelou

Though this isn’t quite a new release either, how could I leave out the lovely stamps that pay tribute to the phenomenal Dr. Angelou? It’s always wise to send her words through the mail.

How do you feel about the proposed postal change, American readers? To those of you reading (and writing letters!) from abroad–when’s the last time your country’s postage rate went down?

12 thoughts on “5 Gorgeous US Stamps to Buy [in April for 47 Cents]

1. Idle Emma March 7, 2016 / 9:36 am

I absolutely love all those flower stamps! They’re so colourful.
    I don’t think the postal rates here in Ireland have ever gone down – just steadily risen. The most recent increase was last summer where it went up 2c for national and 5c for international.

• Keely S. (Sarr Trek) March 7, 2016 / 11:39 am

I know! I feel like these flowers were made just for me, haha 🙂 Our international stamps started out at 1.10, jumped to 1.20 last year, and will now return to 1.15–a wild ride indeed!

2. brambletonthreads March 7, 2016 / 11:29 am

I love all the stamps out right now. I’m really surprised by the dropping rate! Hopefully the model will be able to stabilize itself with some help from the people in our country!

• Keely S. (Sarr Trek) March 7, 2016 / 11:40 am

I agree! I was honestly expecting to see it hit fifty cents in the near future rather than going down–but either way I’m still buying stamps aplenty 🙂

3. Lulu March 7, 2016 / 11:37 am

I am not sure what the conversion from dollar to euro is, but 47 cents is cheap! Here in France a stamp costs 70 cents (almost a dollar I think)!

• Keely S. (Sarr Trek) March 7, 2016 / 12:03 pm

Oh my goodness! I didn’t realize that! We’re lucky to have such comparatively cheap stamps here, then. I’ll be traveling in Europe soon, sending lots of letters and postcards, and will no doubt learn a lot about other country’s postage costs then 😀

4. elinorlife March 7, 2016 / 12:43 pm

Those are all beautiful stamps, hopefully I’ll receive letters with some of them on 🙂 Royal Mail prices for European post is going up 5p at the end of this month to £1.05, and it all adds up!

• Keely S. (Sarr Trek) March 8, 2016 / 9:08 am

Those small changes do make a big difference, it’s true! I hope you do get some of these pretty stamps sent your way soon from the States!

5. Katie March 8, 2016 / 1:05 am

In Australia, the price of stamps has just gone up from 70c to $1. It’s a huge jump and many people were outraged, but realistically, our postal service is on the verge of bankruptcy as well, so what else can they do?
    Beautiful blog, by the way, I found it just now and I’m going to have a good browse.
    xx Katie

• Keely S. (Sarr Trek) March 8, 2016 / 9:39 am

Thirty cents?? Ye gads! I hope the extra cost has helped stabilize the post a little bit? And thank you so much! I’ve just looked at your blog, too, which is lovely–I’m always happy to find fellow appreciators of the mori girl lifestyle!

6. thesnailmail March 8, 2016 / 10:24 pm

I’ve purchased most of these stamps, too! I already used all of the floral ones, & ordered a new batch. I think the moon stamps are just plain awesome.

• Keely S. (Sarr Trek) March 9, 2016 / 12:09 pm

Aren’t they the best? The number of space and cosmos stamps coming out this year is a dream come true!