monterey, CA

monterey-10-of-10monterey-4-of-10monterey-2-of-10

So–in more ways than one, I’m back! I’ve returned to the East Coast, for one, but I’m also returning to my blog after a difficult few weeks (it felt good to take a break, honestly). I was so excited to share some gorgeous Northern California seascapes that it’s no surprise I’ve popped back into the blogging life sooner rather than later.

Monterey remains one of the most chillingly stunning places I’ve ever visited. Traveling there felt more like going home than getting off the plane in Massachusetts did! Riding down those endless seaside drives with an eye to the cold surf-break, peeking at otters and pinnipeds of all varieties, pulling my hat securely around my ears as I investigated the shells, crabs, and shipwrecked kelp that cover the rocky shores…it’s the wild ocean, the Romantic “sublime,” as I never imagined it before. Somebody call the Hudson River School!

monterey-1-of-10

This state beach was our first stop after a 4 AM drive from San Francisco. The size of the waves took my breath away!

monterey-6-of-10

This delicate alien transfixed me for as long as I could bear the biting January winds. What did it look like while suspended in the open ocean? What kind of propulsion system did it use?

monterey-8-of-10

If you ever thought that my favorite Russian painter, Ivan Aivazovsky, exaggerated the beautiful oceanic interplay of water and golden light…nope! He captured it perfectly.

monterey-5-of-10

monterey-3-of-10

10 thoughts on “monterey, CA

• Mailbox Mermaid January 17, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Hey, Aleeha! Thanks so much for your lovely comment 🙂 I enjoyed checking out your blog too!

1. Elizabeth January 17, 2017 / 6:05 pm

I loved Moana! It makes a pretty good metaphor ;). California is gorgeous looking, I hope I make it there someday. Wishing you luck on your changing future!

Elizabeth

• Mailbox Mermaid January 17, 2017 / 9:54 pm

Hi, Elizabeth! Thanks for the well wishes! I appreciate it, and they’re much-needed 🙂 I hope you do indeed get a chance to visit NorCal someday: it’s a place like no other. I miss it already!

2. Ari Baker January 18, 2017 / 3:13 am

Wow, those pictures are stunning! I especially like the one with the sun caught between the rocks.

• Mailbox Mermaid January 18, 2017 / 8:02 am

Thank you! I know, I was so surprised by that photo when I downloaded my pictures. I’ve always had terrible luck with sunset/reflection photography, so I couldn’t believe I captured that 🙂

3. IdleEmma January 18, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Beautiful photos Keely, and I hope things work out for you with these changes you’ve mentioned. 🙂

• Mailbox Mermaid January 18, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Thanks, Emma 🙂 you’ll no doubt hear all of the drama in detail the next time I send you a letter, so I apologize in advance, haha!

• IdleEmma January 19, 2017 / 6:12 am

That’s what pen pal are for though – ranting and putting problems down on paper does help! 🙂